Monday, December 30, 2019

Why Buckey?

Photo by Ellen Jo Dahlberg Roberts
Some People I'm sure are asking themselves, "Why is this guy featuring Buckey O'Neill? He's been dead for 121 years."

Buckey is My Personal Hero and there's so much more to say about that. I began my political career in 1986 and the results helped forever change The Face Of The Verde River. In 1988 I ran again, just like Buckey did back in his day. And those results, too, cemented forever the gains I had made for The Verde. I channeled Buckey every day. That's what you do when you have a Hero.

In the 1988 Election, since I was running for US Congress, The Arizona Republic was required to interview me and write and publish an article on me. The newspaper had long since developed a "stock" series of questions. So, one of the questions the reporter asked me was "Who Are Your Heroes?"

I was running as an Independent so I could have whoever Heroes I felt like! My Heroes were (and forever are) Sharlot Hall and Buckey O'Neill. It was SO great to see The Arizona Republic publish my answers to their candidate survey. I know danged well that raised the reporter's eyebrows when I answered his question!

ALL the other candidates replied their Heroes were Ronald Reagan or John Kennedy, depending on political party, of course.

It's 31 years later and my answer would still be the same. Two Of The Greatest People to EVER set foot on Arizona Soil!

No comments:

Post a Comment