Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Milford, not Marysvale

Wrong...!

All these years....maybe 35 of them...I have been repeating a historical falsehood. Dang! That's the trouble with history. You have to check facts. You can't operate under assumptions or fall into the "he said, she said" trap. Long ago, I read that the posse took their captives to Marysvale, Utah, the nearest railhead after their capture in the Wahweap Creek drainage.

But that's oh, SO WRONG! The railroad didn't reach Marysvale until 1900, 11 years after the Canyon Diable Train Robbery. The posse had to take them to Milford, Utah, where the Union Pacific reached by rail in 1880! Even when I read this week in Keithley's book that the posse took them to Milford, the Marysvale myth was so entrenched that I thought, "HA! Keithley sure got that wrong." Nope, I got that wrong!

http://www.drgw.net/info/MarysvaleBranch

No comments:

Post a Comment